Facts about Autism
Did you know ...make a difference for Mav and others like him learn more about Autism HERE. I will be sharing our journey with Autism here on the blog all month long too.
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
- Total 2012 NIH budget: $30.86 billion
- Of this, only $169 million goes directly to autism research. This represents 0.55% of total NIH funding.
I'll share different things we'll be doing this month like going to Build A Bear. It's become a tradition for our family to go make one of these special bears.
Tonight and for the rest of the month our house will be lit up blue. We have the blue bulbs for our porch lights and have been doing this the last couple years. we have gotten questions from those who have seen our house and they always think its cool once we've explained the reason why we do it.
If you've read this leave a comment letting me know you did, if you've shared it with friends let me know that, if your life has been changed by Autism share it. I want to do a giveaway starting today running til Saturday April 6th. If you leave a comment you will be entered to win a personalized necklace created by me and if you're a paper crafter I'll send some of those goodies your way too.
So what are you waiting for? Leave a comment you just might be the winner.